2011, you've been quite a year.
For most of the time we've shared, I've been cursing you and hurrying you along so that I could get to 2012 which I am convinced will hold much better times for me. Bugger what everyone else thought of 2011, at times it has been all about me and this burning desire to be done with the year and to get on to those elusive 'better times'. Those ones that I feel that I deserve for goodness sake.
So now here we are. I'm saying goodbye to you and do you know what? You and God weren't so bad to me after all.
- You've taught me a lot about myself - my strengths and my weaknesses, what I really want in life and how just because things don't happen on my timeline doesn't mean that the end of the world is nigh.
- You've taught me to appreciate my friends and loved ones. To genuinely value their love and friendship and to give something back to them whether it be emotional support or an actual physical gift. To see those gifts bring a smile or laugh really did make me feel better about things too. I admit that now.
- You've taught me that when the worst case scenario has happened that I can't just crumble and opt out of the real world because the rest of the world just keeps on keeping on around me. Time just won't stop / rewind / delete for me. It only moves forward and I have to go along for the ride whether I like it or not. So I might as well make it a fun ride.
- You've taught me how to think about life in a completely different way. You've forced me to change my mind set because often the only thing I do have control over in my life is how I choose to think about what has happened and how the surviving the experience has strengthened both myself and my relationships.
- You've given me amazing experiences and achievements I never could have dreamed of. In my professional and personal lives. Things just seemed to happen and to fall into place. So obsessed was I on the 'bad' events of the year that I neglected to put much thought into everything else. And wouldn't you know it? The rest of my life went on perfectly well without my obsession and anxiety.
So, I guess this is goodbye, 2011. You taught me what I needed to learn and I thank you for this. You happened to me for reasons I don't fully appreciate right now but know that I will some time down the track. Perhaps nor in 2012, maybe later but definitely at some stage in the future.
Now that the serious bits are done....
How are your plans for the evening shaping up? I'm staying in with Mr SSG. There's meant to be a taxi shortage in Sydney tonight, even the Hummers of the city aren't available for hire tonight. I'm all pedi-ed up with 2 coats of Opi's The Show Must Go On (nothing sets off grey trackies and a black T better). The champagne fest has begun with a bottle of Bollinger with strawberries. Thank you, Costco for your competitive pricing.
I've done a bit of out with the old and in with the new as well. My old school stereo is going out for general waste collection. I was going to leave it out on the front verge for someone to pick up this weekend if they had a need for it but Mr SSG advised me that there probably wouldn't be any takers for a clunker of a stereo that features both a cassette deck and a mini disk drive.
A long weekend can't go by without Mr SSG and I hitting Costco for some fun and games. I don't know how it happens but we can never leave without a full trolley. More about this tomorrow but for the moment, here's my new wireless mouse. It's so vibrant and happy, I had to bring it home with me.
Happy New Year, everyone. Thank you for following me and the rocky ride that was 2011. Here's to 2012 and whatever it holds for us all.
God bless and stay safe tonight.